St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is seeking a full-time Lead Pulmonary Function Lab Technician in the division of Critical Care Medicine. In this role, you will perform diagnostic pulmonary function testing procedures on both adult and pediatric patients and assist the Medical Director of the Pulmonary Function Lab. The successful candidate must be motivated, engaging, energetic, be able to build relationships with patients and act as a critical member of the patient care team. The schedule is Monday through Friday. Take the first step to join our team by applying now.
- Conducts diagnostic Pulmonary function testing procedures according to established guidelines and
a. Performs lung spirometry testing including pre- and post- bronchodilator response.
b. Performs tests to measure diffusion capacity, lung mechanics, lung volumes, and inductive
plethysmography, according to set policies and procedures.
c. Initiates and monitors nutritional assessment studies.
d. Performs cardiopulmonary exercise testing ensuring patient safety through cardiac and pulse
e. Initiates bronchoprovocation studies and monitors lung function during these studies.
- Assists pulmonologists in clinical and research activities.
a. Collects, assembles and prepares data for publications.
b. Recruits new patients to ongoing protocols in the laboratory.
- Prepares and maintains proper patient and departmental documentation.
a. Provides patient histories and test results for submission to Pulmonary physicians for
interpretation and evaluation.
b. Assures patient test results are placed in the patient's medical record.
c. Schedules patients for testing.
d. Compiles monthly activity reports.
e. Submits charges daily.
- Leads and directs the work of pulmonary staff.
a. Reviews team activities and operations for compliance with established policies and procedures
b. Conducts performance evaluations for Pulmonary Function Lab Technicians.
c. Makes personnel decisions related to hiring, performance, or disciplinary actions.
- Continuously assesses and improves performance of the pulmonary function lab.
a. Maintains appropriate quality control programs and standard operating procedures
b. Assures that a pulmonary function lab performance improvement program is developed and
c. Assists in collection, interpretation and reporting of performance improvement data.
d. Proactively identifies areas of improvement by seeking feedback from end users of pulmonary
e. Pursues ATS Registry for the pulmonary lab (if applicable).
- Maintains equipment and supplies.
a. Adheres to Infection Control policies and procedures.
b. Prepares requisition for supplies and submits to supervisor for signature.
c. Initiates proper repair and maintenance of equipment.
d. Makes recommendations for equipment and space allocation required to meet the needs of the
pulmonary function lab.
- Maintains positive employee, staff, patients, patient’s families and guest relationships.
- Required to have and maintain certifications in Basic Life Support (BLS), Pediatric Advanced Life
Support (PALS) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) as provided by an American Heart
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned or directed to meet the goals and objectives of the
- Bachelor’s degree from a program approved by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health
Education Programs (CAAHEP) or Commission on Accreditation of Respiratory Care (CoARC) is
- Knowledge of pulmonary diagnostic care concepts and methods with emphasis on pulmonary function
testing or techniques is required.
- Three (3) years of on-the-job training/experience in a general hospital is required.
- Pediatric experience and leadership experience preferred.
- (LC: RESPABGTN) Licensed as REGISTERED Respiratory Therapist with ABG endorsement from the
Tennessee State Board of Respiratory Care – OR – current credential as a Registered Pulmonary
Function Therapist (RPFT) from the National Board of Respiratory Care.
- Certified Pulmonary Function Technologist credential from the NBRC is required.
- Registered Pulmonary Function Technologist credential preferred.
As of September 10, 2021, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital has mandated the COVID-19 vaccine for all employees, excluding those with an approved medical or religious accommodation, as a condition of employment.
EEO Statement: St. Jude is an Equal Opportunity Employer
No Search Firms:
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. Please do not call or email. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee or other representative at St. Jude via email, the internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place and approved by HR will result in no fee being paid in the event the candidate is hired by St. Jude.